.....exploring relationships between sex, gender, technology and systems of power. With a background in the tech indusry and cabninet making, Ara designs, fabricates and programmes the work herself an low budget.
"In terms of art, ideas, making and ambition, Ara is the real deal" V&A Curator. (Her work was recently aquired by the V&A Museum, London)
IMAGE L: Catch Me If You Can | CAD Drawings Layered on Organza, Silk and Cotton , 91 x 156 cm, 2023
RACHEL ARA (b. 1965 Jersey) studied BA Fine Art at Goldsmiths (1994–97); . Selected groups exhibitions include: Vertiginous Data, MMCA (Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art), Seoul, S.Korea (2019); London Design Festival, V&A, London (2019); Vienna Biennale, The MAK, Vienna (2019); London Open 2018 Triennial, Whitechapel Gallery, London, UK (2018) . Solo presentations: “Dissent Module, UCL / Slade, London, UK (2020); “Transubstantiation of Knowledge”, V&A, London, UK (2018); “American Beauty (A Trump L'Oeil)”, Barbican Centre, London, UK (2018); . Recent prizes include: International Aesthetica Art Prize, First Prize (2016), the coLAB “Women Make Sculpture commission” (2019), CCA Summer Show Winner (2022), TP Film Festival Winner (2022). Awards from the Arts Council (2019 / 2020). Recent Publications: 100 Sculptors of Tomorrow, Thames & Hudson (2019), 50 Women Sculptors, Aurora, (2020), She lives and works in London / Jersey.
What's Going On? Since my cancellation, my practice has had to adjust. I am no longer giving lectures at universities as I'm deemed too radical, and commissions or shows are not forthcoming as curators are cowardly at dealing with differences of opinion and freedom of expression so I'm forging my own route. I'm in the process of moving studios from London to Jersey. Keeping my head down and focused on a large solo presentation for 2023, and a solo show for 2024. I'm working on a variety of very exciting anonymous feminist projects with some fabulous architects. I'm also curating my mum's first solo show in July 2023 - If you want to see her work click here.
- "No Place Like Home", Capitol House Gallery, Jersey, 15.09.2023 - 20.10.2023
- RA Summer Show, Royal Academy, London, 13.06.2023 - 20.08.2023
- Culture Tensions, Ujazdowski Castle Centre for Contemporary Art, Warsaw, Poland, 23.11.2022
- Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair, London, 02.11.2022 - 06.11.2022
- FiLiA Merch, Cardiff, 22.10.2022 - 24.10.2022
- ArtHouse Jersey R&D Residency, Jersey, 27.09.2022 - 30.02.2022
- Creative Conversations, St Helier Library, TALK, 12.09.2022
- CCA Summer Show, CCA Galleries, Jersey - WINNER, 17.06.2022 - 16.07.2022
- Thirteenth Parish Film Festival, Jersey - WINNER, 12.05.2022 - 15.05.2022
The Parable of the Leaf Blower, 2022 - Winner TPFF 2022 (Film Festival)
"This Much I'm Worth" UK - now on display in London till 2024
"This Much I'm Worth" (the self evaluating artwork) - UK Version is back on display at a London Gallery (Email for Location)